Trip Telč

It is said that in the memory of the battle the victor established first a chapel, later a church and then a community, which is the Old Town today. The only historical proof is the documentation of a seigniorial estate and watch tower with a little church, which was the residence of the royal administrator. Menhart of Hradec is supposed to have built the castle, church, water fortification and Gothic houses around the large marketplace. The town started to expand after 1354, and in spite of rapid development – it was granted the rigth to carry out capital sentences and the right to hold annual markets by Charles IV, it used to suffer from fires (in 1386 the whole western half of the square including the church and town hall were burnt out) and later still from the Hussites rebellions. According to the Town Chronicle established in 1359 (and later lost) the town of Telč was – except for the castle – conquered in 1423 by the Hussites´army led by Jan Hvězda of Vicemilice. The recovery ot the town required quite a long time. The rule of the Slavatas was affected by the Thirty Years’ War. Telč as well as the whole region suffers under the Swedish (and also the Imperial) Armies. Thus the Lichtenstein-Kastelkorn family succeed to Telč. The beginning of the 19th century represents the rise of industrialisation. The Lang factory manufacturing cloths begins in the former Slavata’s yard, this factory had as many as 600 employees. An important role was played by the schools founded in 1852. No matter how much Telč vitalised, grew and spread, the inner town between the ponds and gates has kept the beautiful charm of the days of Zachariáš. And this is the main reason for which the historical heart of the town was registered in 1992 on the UNESCO¨s List of World Cultural Heritage sites.

Exchange Rates

Prague Currently

Prague Currently